Wildcard weekend is here and another 2023 DraftKings showdown slate this time Los Angeles @Detroit. This game has seen plenty of build up. The return of Stafford to Detroit, Goff able to make a show against the team that deemed him unable to win them a Super Bowl. The Lions have been a great storyline all season, and a great team to watch. The O/U is around 53 here, with the Lions favored by a FG.
DraftKings Wildcard Showdown 2023 – Los Angeles @Detroit Captain Picks
Amon-Ra St. Brown ($16,500 Capt/ $11,000 Flex)
It’s hard to see a situation, outside of injury, where St. Brown doesn’t have a big game here. The Rams secondary isn’t great, Goff is at home which massively helps his spits and St. Brown is a target monster who has home-run ability. This pricing for a CPT is great too. If you don’t go for him as a CPT, he has to be a flex.
Kyren Williams ($15,300 Capt/ $10,200 Flex)
Williams is looking great out of the backfield, and has really re-established the ground game for the Rams. This is a tough matchup against Detroit, which I think will impact his CPT ownership. But, with his involvement in the passing game and the work he gets in the redzone, he could smash at this price. Decent flex otherwise.
Cooper Kupp ($14,400 Capt/ $9,600 Flex)
Kupp is a nice pay-down CPT option that allows you to save a chunk to use in your flex. Hasn’t had the headline in the offense, but still managed to have a decent season with 95 targets in the 12 games he played. With his target share has a decent floor, and we’ve seen he can take charge of games through the air. A nice CPT selection in a stack with Stafford.
DraftKings Wildcard Showdown 2023 – Los Angeles @Detroit Flex Picks
Puka Nacua ($10,400 Flex)
Nacua had a great rookie season, and has a great opportunity to build on that against this Lions secondary. Stafford is going to be throwing the ball against this poor Lions secondary, which should give Nacua plenty of volume. Prefer Nacua as a flex though, as I’m expecting Kupp to perform in the playoffs. You can combine Nacua and Kupp in the same lineup if you want though- as they could both have a good game here.
Matthew Stafford ($9,800 Flex)
Stafford makes his return to Detroit with a ring, and will be sensing some pressure from the crowd. Could see this game becoming a shootout that could allow Stafford to get plenty of production here. If you go Williams as your CPT, think you should look elsewhere for a flex. But otherwise, decent flex option.
Jared Goff ($9,400 Flex)
Goff gets to face off against the team that moved him on at home, and his performances at home have been much better than on the road. Feels like an almost automatic stack option with St. Brown. The only question/ concern will be if the Lions opt to use Gibbs and Montgomery near the goal-line, as that could limit his ceiling. Great flex play regardless
Jahmyr Gibbs ($8,800 Flex)
Gibbs has multiple TD upside. Although being in a backfield split, as he is, makes it hard to rally go one way or the other. Gibbs sees usage in the passing game though, which gives him more appeal here. With how the Rams have performed against the run this season, Gibbs could see his ownership get hit at this pricepoint.
Sam LaPorta ($7,600 Flex)
LaPorta when healthy is an important part of the offense. But, after being stretchered off, it’s unknown how healthy he will be for his one. Think he could see a restricted workload if he does play though, which really hurts his outlook. I’ll have a few lineups with him, but won’t be going crazy here.
David Montgomery ($6,800 Flex)
Montgomery’s value is dependent on how the Lions start the game. If the Lions can make some plays and get to a lead, Montgomery could see plenty of carries as the team look to control the clock. Otherwise, think that Gibbs would get the majority of the work as a passing option. In this game, I think you can’t combine Gibbs and Montgomery in the same lineup- given the difficulty of the matchup.
Demarcus Robinson ($5,400 Flex)
Robinson is the WR3 for the Rams, completely taking control of that role behind Nacua and Kupp. As a result, he has often been overlooked by defenses. Scored in four straight games before his streak ended against the Giants. Solid value as a flex option on the slate.
Jameson Williams ($4,200 Flex)
Williams returns from injury here, and gives you cheap exposure to the Lions offense. Hasn’t had a ceiling game yet, but has still had a few catches for around 50 yards. This secondary isn’t great, giving Williams a great chance to have a good game here. Decent GPP option at the price. My favorite ‘non-St. Brown’ receiver for the Lions.
Tyler Higbee ($4,000 Flex)
Higbee should be back in this one. The expectation with the pricing I think was that he wouldn’t be able to suit up, given that Allen is more expensive on the slate. Think this is a great play at the price in a matchup that Higbee should be able to have a good game in. The injury concern I think will impact his ownership here, which makes him more appealing for me on the slate.
Dart Throw Plays (Various)
Instead of writing up a line for a few options with their own sections, thought I’d list out a few in one area. Not really worth considering these as core plays, only in multi-entry GPPs:
- Josh Reynolds (WR, DET) $5,000 Flex – Reynolds is the WR2 in the offense and works as the possession receiver in the offense. If LaPorta isn’t able to play or is limited, then he should see more work in the offense, and could hit value. Otherwise, he is going to struggle at this price-point.
- Davis Allen (TE, LAR) $4,400 Flex – Allen should be moved back to being the TE2 in the offense behind Higbee who returns to the lineup. If Higbee is limited at all, or suffers a re-injury Allen is going to be the next guy up. Limited appeal at this price point.
- Tutu Atwell (WR, LAR) $3,400 Flex – Atwell has become the WR4 in the offense, with the emergence of Robinson. Could score a long TD, but if he doesn’t the volume isn’t there for him to hit value here.
- Ronnie Rivers (RB, LAR) $2,600 Flex – Rivers is the RB2 for the Rams, but Williams is dealing with the volume of carries in the offense. Would need an injury to Williams to have a shot of hitting value (unless he randomly breaks off a TD). Not tempted by Royce Freeman ($600) here.
- Brock Wright (TE, DET) $2,000 Flex – LaPorta is looking like he is going to be able to play here. If he does, Wright is going to be pushed back to being the blocking TE. Otherwise, he could have sneaky value as a redzone weapon. Far more likely to dud though.
- Brycen Hopkins (TE, LAR) $1,600 Flex – TE3 in the offense. Limited appeal with Higbee returning.
- Ben Skowronek (WR, LAR) $1,200 Flex – With the other receiving options for the Rams, he could be inactive here. Even if he is active has limited appeal with his limited volume in the offense.
- Donovan Peoples-Jones (WR, DET) $800 Flex – Peoples-Jones might see the field here, with Kalif Raymond ruled out. Would be the WR4, with a few targets. But the pricing allows him the opportunity to hit value with limited production.
DraftKings Wildcard Showdown 2023 – Los Angeles @Detroit Kickers and DSTs
The kickers here are both tempting, but not sure they see FG attempts in a shootout. Michael Badgley ($4,800) has kicked all four of his FG attempts for the team(four in four games), with a long of 41. The Lions love going for it on 4th down too, limiting his appeal further. Brett Maher ($4,600) has hit 17 of 23 attempts this season for the team with a long of 54. But again, it’s hard to really expect too much of the kickers here.
The DSTs aren’t really overly tempting on the slate. Think the game ends up being a shootout, so you are going to need some big plays to hit value. Lions DST ($3,800) have had 41 sacks on the season, and forced 29 turnovers this season. They’ve only managed to convert one of those to a TD though, and haven’t scored a TD on special teams either. Rams DST ($3,600) are another play that have limited appeal here. Have had 41 sacks on the season, and only managed to force 17 turnovers here. Both are GPP only plays on the slate.
So, there are our DraftKings selections for the Wildcard Showdown 2023 – Green Bay @Dallas! Remember any DFS questions, you can check out our articles here. Or you can find us on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram.
Image Credit: Raj Mehta – USA TODAY Sports